Heating is an important factor which influences the growth rate and life span of cockroaches. In general terms, the higher the temperatures, the faster the growth rate and shorter the lifecycle. The below table provides a guide to temperature ranges for cockroaches:
Temperature Ranges for Cockroaches 1
|Cockroach State||Temperature (Centigrade)1||Comments|
|Cold stress for prolonged periods||Below 10-20 degrees (50-68 degrees Fahrenheit)||Cockroaches can live below this temperature for short periods; however will struggle or die over longer periods.|
|General growth||20-25 degrees (68- 77 degrees Fahrenheit)||Slow to average lifespan|
|Minimum temperature for productive breeding||25 degrees (77 degrees Fahrenheit)|
|Optimal growing temperatures,||32-35 degrees (90-95 degrees Fahrenheit)||Fast growth rates, reduced life expectancy.|
|Heat stress||38 degrees or greater (100 degrees Fahrenheit)||Survival is dependent on ventilation and providing sufficient moisture|
1 Note that temperatures described above are based from internal container temperatures from a tropical environment and variations may exist in different climates. Figures are based on Speckled Cockroaches (Nauphoeta cinerea), slight variations will be found between different species.
As shown above, cockroaches can survive a range of temperatures, however optimal grown is found in a relatively narrow temperature range (32 to 35 degrees Centigrade). Productivity and breeding consistency will suffer away from these preferred temperature ranges. In the heat of summer I have had container temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Centigrade with no deaths, however during these periods I had good ventilation, plenty of available water and fans blowing through the containers.
Need More Information…
Below is a summary of the “Heating and Storage ” sections of our Cockroach Breeding Manuals.
- Tables which provide the various temperature thresholds to manage a cockroach colony
- Advantages/disadvantages for 6 different heating systems including free solar options. Find out the best method for productive cockroach production.
- Learn the thermodynamic principles for efficient heat conservation.
- 20 methods to reduce your heating costs.
- How to estimate your heating costs and manage excessive heat.
- How to store breeding containers so they are easy to access and feeding can be done without opening the lid. This will allow numerous containers can be stored into a tight configuration, to save space or to increase the number of containers.
© Zega Enterprises 2018, ©Photographs, diagrams and tables by Glenn Kvassay or as credited 2018